- Client : Mbale Clinical Research Institute
- Category : Clinical and Biomedical Research
- Research Year : April, 2019
- Location : Uganda
- Delivery Mode : TRACT
The Transfusion and Treatment of severe Anaemia in African Children
The Transfusion and Treatment of severe Anaemia in African Children (TRACT) is a randomised controlled Trial. TRACT is evaluating three different ways to reduce short and longer-term mortality and morbidity following admission to hospital with severe anaemia in African children.
TRACT will therefore compare three different ways that outcomes could be improved:
- Liberal transfusion (30ml/kg whole blood) versus conservative transfusion (20ml/kg) versus no transfusion (control). The control is only for children with uncomplicated severe anaemia (haemoglobin 4-6 g/dl);
- Post-discharge multi-vitamin multi-mineral supplementation (including folate and iron) versus routine care (folate and iron) for 3 months;
- post-discharge cotrimoxazole prophylaxis for 3 months versus no prophylaxis.